Sunday November 15, 2015 starting at 4pm
How to study and Interpret the Bible: Session One
In this series we have started to discuss as to the need to interpret the bible. The word Interpretation comes from the Greek word (hermeneuō), which is translated as ‘to interpret’, or ‘to explain’. To put it simply, hermeneutics deals with interpreting and explaining texts. This is the word that was used of Jesus when he explained the text to the two men on the road to Emmaus. Luke 24:27 ―And beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained/interpreted (dihermeneuō) to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures. We are covering these topics:
- Barriers to correct biblical interpretation
- Who determines the meaning of the biblical text? The Author, the Text or the Reader?
- Authorial Intent and reader response
- 11 Important vocabularies for correct interpretation. knowing the difference between: Meaning, Implication, Significance, Subject Matter, Understanding, Interpretation, Word range, Word usage, Context, Genera
– Barriers to correct biblical interpretation
– Who determines the meaning of a biblical text? The Author, the Text or the Reader?
– Authorial Intent and reader response
– Important vocabularies for correct interpretation. knowing
– Three contexts for discovering the meaning of a text.
TOPICS FOR UPCOMING SESSIONS
© 2015 – 2016, Samson Tilahun. All rights reserved.